Meet a Professional
Click on the questions on the right side of the page to ask the computing professional about their occupation.
- What would you say is the most interesting/exciting part of your job?
- Explain a time where you made a mistake on the job? Also explain what happened in result.
- Explain the culture and diversity in your workplace. How does that affect you?
- What is the dress code at your job?
- Is it noticeable and or important if students stem from a tech based school or liberal school when applying to positions?
- Does one have to be good at science and math to be successful in Computer Science? Where you good at Science and Math while you were in school?
- What is the most challenging project you have ever done, why was it challenging and how did you accomplish it?
- What are the things one should look for when deciding on a computing job?
- Do you have any leadership responsibilities in your current position? If so, what are they?
- Where do you see yourself 5, 10 or 20 years from now in your profession?
- Do you do anything innovative in your current job, and if so what innovative tasks do you do?
- Can you describe your career path and how you reached your current position?
- What other cities/countries have you worked at before? What places did you have the opportunities to work previously?
- Is the city that you work in now similar to the city that you grew up in? If not, explain the differences.
- Describe some of the fun or interesting perks at your job? Would you say your job was fun?
- How often do you work with others (i.e. teams)? What kind of activities do you do when you work with others?
- What are some examples of how your work has impacted people?
- What percentage of your job do you spend coding?
- How much do you enjoy coding?
- Is this an entry-level job? Did you have previous experience before attaining this job?
- Did you always know you wanted to work in computing? If not, when did you decide/what was that pivotal moment? What was your motivation for this decision?
- What advice would you give someone looking to enter into this field?
- What changes to the career does the person foresee in the future?
- What personal characteristics are required to be successful in this career?
- What things do you like and dislike about this career?
Projected Growth Faster than average (9% to 13%)
National Salary $72,010 annually
Local Salary Information View Here
Education Master’s 47%
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as programming, data structures, and software design
- Evaluate and grade students’ class work, laboratory work, assignments, and papers
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records