Faster than average (9% to 13%)
40.84 hourly, $84,950 annually
Local Salary Information
- Test programs or databases, correct errors, and make necessary modifications.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Specify users and user access levels for each segment of database.
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system or direct others in coding descriptions.
- Develop methods for integrating different products so they work properly together such as customizing commercial databases to fit specific needs.
- Develop standards and guidelines to guide the use and acquisition of software and to protect vulnerable information.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Review procedures in database management system manuals for making changes to database.
- Revise company definition of data as defined in data dictionary.
- Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- Train users and answer questions.
- Review workflow charts developed by programmer analyst to understand tasks computer will perform, such as updating records.
- Approve, schedule, plan, and supervise the installation and testing of new products and improvements to computer systems such as the installation of new databases.
- Identify and evaluate industry trends in database systems to serve as a source of information and advice for upper management.
- Develop data model describing data elements and how they are used, following procedures and using pen, template or computer software.
- Select and enter codes to monitor database performance and to create production database.
- Establish and calculate optimum values for database parameters, using manuals and calculator.