Much faster than average (14% or higher)
$38.32 hourly, $79,700 annually
Local Salary Information
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain email applications or virus protection software.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Load computer tapes and disks, and install software and printer paper or forms.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Research new technologies by attending seminars, reading trade articles, or taking classes, and implement or recommend the implementation of new technologies.
- Analyze equipment performance records to determine the need for repair or replacement.
- Implement and provide technical support for voice services and equipment, such as private branch exchange, voice mail system, and telecom system.
- Maintain an inventory of parts for emergency repairs.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Gather data pertaining to customer needs, and use the information to identify, predict, interpret, and evaluate system and network requirements.
- Train people in computer system use.
- Coordinate with vendors and with company personnel to facilitate purchases.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Maintain logs related to network functions, as well as maintenance and repair records.